Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hello, Orange County

So I've been living in Southern California for 24 hours.  LA suburbs are definitely nothing like San Francisco.  San Francisco has cultural neighborhoods, unique restaurants, and scenic views.  What I've seen so far is strip mall after strip mall pretty much, and there isn't much scenic around LA suburbs unless you want to take pictures of parking lots.

I'm not hating, but Orange County is just a different place.  My room is pretty spacious.  Living my relatives will be nice, but it will take some getting used to.  I need to set up a routine.  One thing I did notice about LA, other than the aggressive driving, is that the speed limit is 10 mph faster than comparable areas in SF.  Residential is 35 mph , main streets with traffic lights are 45 mph, and side roads are 50 mph.  That's pretty ridiculous.  However I did find an alternate route to my school which is 50 mph, and it's hilly with curves, so it should be fun to drive as opposed to driving straight on Imperial Hwy, which has all the distractions with strip malls and chain restaurants.  Chain restaurants...I miss the unique family-run restaurants of the Bay already.

Any way, I need to sleep.  I have an orientation tomorrow at 7 am, where they will be taking my picture, and I have to dress formally for the orientation in 85 degree weather....again ridiculous.

1 comment:

alexthegirl said...

the ridiculousness of LA...:shakes head: hahaha