Sunday, August 17, 2008

Orientation Weekend

Orientation was looooong.  On Friday, we started at 7 AM, and we took pictures for our photo ID (my turned out ok, not the best picture, but whatever).  The picture took 2 minutes, and then I had to wait another hour and 45 minutes until the first speech by our president of the school.  It was good to mingle, but needless to say having to wake up at 5:45 and just providing us with water was not worth it.

During the 2nd speech, I almost fell asleep.  My eyelids were getting heavy, and maybe because I didn't have any coffee, not that it does help that much.  As the day continued and I kept hearing people talk, and there was a discussion session with 2nd years who shared some info with us, I just felt like I was tired of hearing about the experience and actually live it.  I guess at the point I was ready for the challenges of optometry school.

The second day was much shorter, but also just a lot of needless paperwork.  However the financial aid information was important, and I did pay attention to that.  SCCO is really conservative, and I think maybe that struck a chord with my NorCal roots.  I'm not super liberal in anyway, but I know we're professionals now and we represent the institution, but traditions need to meet up with the times and adapt to what is new and modern.  Who wears a tie and dress shirt in 85 degree weather?!?  But yeah, what can I do.  In a way it's good to have and image of credibility when you're a professional, but seriously you're in Southern California...give us a break.

In addition to the events, I've been looking left and right for a basketball court.  Most courts in LA are outdoor, and the indoor courts require memberships or some amount of payment to use.  It's been kind of disheartening.  I guess it's the same way in NorCal, but I've never really had to look too hard for court to play on since I didn't play as much back then.  I guess the search continues.  I'm contemplating a membership at CSU Fullerton, but it is $32/month, which is about the same as my Bally's fiasco, but the deciding factor is if I'll be going often enough with the work load.  I'm looking to get back into swimming and playing a lot more basketball.

There was a lot of stress placed on leadership at SCCO, and participating in class government or student association (SA).  With my college experience and personality, it's hard for me not to want to take on challenges and plan large things for everyone to enjoy, but this time around I need to make sure I'm in the right place that I'm making the grade.  They are saying it doesn't get easier, and the best time to do it is your first year, but I am trying really hard not to bite on the bait.  They say it's good for networking and meeting people, but I'm moving back to NorCal after this (most definitely), and my connections have started there.

Driving around the O.C. the area I would probably most feel comfortable and hang out in is Rowland Heights, the Asian area.  There is good food, and dessert places (to be found).  Other than that I'm down for coffee and movies or whatever.  The bar scene in downtown Fullerton is pretty intense, but I haven't gone into a bar yet.

During the picnic, I pretty much showed all my cards.  There was a game that teams had to choose a person to do something or have something that was requested, and I did a Michael Phelps impersonation,  Best Old School Dance move, and hidden talent.  So all was laid out, and I don't really have any more surprises up my sleeve.  We'll see how those actions follow me throughout optometry school.  So much for keeping a low profile, but just enough to be known, and not enough to be disliked.

I never knew I'd experience this much in one weekend of going back to school; maybe I'm just turning on my observation skills again.  My parents left to go back to the Bay, and I was pretty sad.  It's the first time that I'm actually living pretty far from home.  My parents have done so much for me, and it's time for me to grow up at bit.  My parents and I don't always have the best relationship, but I know they love me and have sacrificed so much for me, so that I could pursue my own interests and goals.

Tomorrow is the first day, and we have a Fall Assembly with a guest speaker.  We are encouraged to dress professional to make a good impression.  The kicker is the speaker is blind....

1 comment:

alexthegirl said...

Welcome to the world of grad school Matty. Hang in there and do your best. God will take care of you and I know you will look to Him. :)