Thursday, July 3, 2008

The "new-look" Warriors

I decided to make this post based on the recent news about Baron Davis, ex-point guard of the Golden State Warriors, and his decision to sign with the L.A. Clippers. I was keeping up with the news about the NBA Free Agency period, and read that Davis opted out. I was surprised how someone could just walk away from about 18 million dollars. I guess I wasn't surprised as much as I was speechless because Davis was one of the reason I enjoyed watching the Warriors, and started following them as a team. I did not jump on the playoff bandwagon in the 06-07 season. I saw my first Warriors game the previous season, and that's when I totally immersed myself in Warriors basketball.

I loved Baron Davis' swagger, and his "big" guard style of play. I will admit that I hated when he got lazy and hoisted up a tres, or how he thought he could win the game alone. I knew Davis wouldn't be around for long, but to leave one year early, and sign with another team in our division, hurts. He could have stayed with the Warriors and nurtured up and coming point guards that we would draft or acquire, but I guess that's wishful thinking. The NBA is not always idealistic, and many players are driven by the power of the dollar. Kevin Garnett is probably one player who stuck with a team, and did everything he could to make them better, until the management decided to go in a different direction, and I guess I was hoping Davis was that type of person. Davis, according to other websites, donated money for Hurricane Katrina relief, and also had the summer basketball program in LA and also in the Bay Area for urban youth, so I am on the fence as whether to be a Baron lover or hater. I appreciated his play for the Warriors and his intensity that he brought in his game. I will remember his fadaway left baseline jumper that he loves, his ridiculous, no-look passes, and the dunk on AK-47. Davis was not always the best player, but he plays for the moment, and he gave us, Warrior fans, many moments to go "dumb" about. But again, to opt out of an organization that gave you a second chance, that defended you against New Orleans' "boos", is surprising and heart-breaking.

1. Monta Ellis (G)
2. Stephen Jackson (G)
3. Al Harrington (F/C)
4. Andris Biedrins (C)
5. Brandan Wright (F/C)
6. Marco Bellinelli (G)
7. Anthony Randolph (F)
8. Richard Hendrix (F)
9. Kelenna Azubuike (G/F)
10. CJ Watson (G)
11. Kosta Perovic (C)
12. Matt Barnes (F)
13. Austin Croshere (F/C)

Signing Corey Maggette:
After reading a lot of posts by Warriors beat writers, Corey Maggette is no replacement for Baron Davis, but he's athletic, will fit in with Nellie's style, and a good leader. People doubt his rebounding, play-making ability, and his health. But Nellie has a habit of rejuvenating a player's career, and he'll be a needed leader for the young players on our team. He has the swagger to fit in with our Bay Area pride.

Offer Signed by Ronny Turiaf:
I like this move, even though the Lakers still have the opportunity to match. Turiaf is a big-bodied bruiser that we can put on the floor. A writer expressed concern that if Turiaf is a Warrior that wouldn't leave many minutes for Hendrix, which is why I think Harrington maybe traded. These moves by Mullin are not just about making a team that will fit Nellie's system, but getting good players for the franchise, so future coaches will have a more conservative looking squad. What I think would be nice with the big-bodied power forwards is that they can keep their position on defense, and plug up the lane. Then the long arms of Biedrins, Wright, or Randolph can block the shot attempt. This would be similar to how Davis stole the ball when Nowitski was in the post, or how Baron would swat the ball from behind.

Pietrus signing with Orlando:
Pietrus was nice to have around, but it was obvious that if he had a chance to leave that he would take it. He's a good player, but probably has reached his ceiling at least with the Warriors and the minutes that he got last season.

What's next?:
Reports are saying that they are looking for a 3rd point guard to back Ellis and Watson. There are two point guards on their summer league team that are options. Another option would be trading Al Harrington for Kyle Lowry (or another PG). But I do agree with the need for a point guard. I would re-sign Azubuike again because he's a great all around player. I am sure there is much more excitement to come this off-season.

PG: Ellis/ Watson/ Lowry
SG: Jackson/ Bellinelli/
Azubuike*
SF: Maggette /Randolph
PF: Turiaf*/ Wright
C: Biedrins/ Hendrix


No comments: