Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"Changes"

So, I wanted to type this post before I forget what the experience was like. Last week, I was waiting for the bus to go to work. The bus I wait for goes through Chinatown, therefore many elderly Chinese people are on the bus, along with other people going to work. The bus is usually crowded and sometimes does not stop. In this case the bus stopped, and the bus was moderately full, and two African American males wanted to get on. They were telling the people on the bus (mainly Chinese immigrants, who are ESL) to move to the back of the bus. From my experience on the bus, most people don't go all the way to the back. The African American males grew impatient and were swearing at the people to move back, and still there was no movement. In the end the African Americans got on to the next bus, but expressed their frustration about the people not moving to the back of the bus.
I could identify with both parties here. I know that the Chinese people don't cooperate, and whether it is because of a culture difference or that they are not fluent in English, they just look out for themselves. They will lug their bags of groceries on the bus, and take up space. They will not move all the way to the back of the bus, thus preventing 5-10 more people to fit onto the crowded bus. Don't get me wrong though, there are time where I have seen them display consideration for others. Also, the stigma and stereotyping behind color, and being black might have played a role in this situation. Maybe the Chinese people did not want to cooperate because they were afraid, especially when the two people started yelling. I can see why the situation arose.
I got onto a different bus, and was standing by two elderly Chinese women. They rose and got off at the bus stop. I proceeded to look around to see if anyone wanted/needed the seat before I would decide to sit down. Before I know it, a Caucasian couple squeeze by me to sit. The man was wearing sunglasses and just had that careless look on his face. I was so mad. I couldn't believe the inconsideration that he displayed. I proceeded to walk to the back of the bus, and cool off.

It's instances like this where you wonder how people can get along in this world. I wish that people could understand each other, and be respectful of each other. I guess I've seen a lot on the bus, and people really have to see that we're all the same. We go through similar experiences, though we're no the same race, age, or background. Also don't stereotype people by the way they look because things that come out of their mouth may surprise you. This goes both ways. And no matter what people are like, you have to respect them, not to be confused with revering them, but at least respect that they are people and can make their own choices.

God teaches us to love one another, and to love Him. It's considered the two most important commandments in the New Testament. In writing it's simple, but with this world and our experiences, it's difficult. But you know it's right, and it's what we should strive for.

"I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere
unless we share with each other
We gotta start makin' changes
learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers
and that's how it's supposed to be " - Tupac "Changes"

No comments: