Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Church Membership

So this past weekend, I was introduced as a member of Evangel Bible Church of Orange County. This is the second time I've become a member of a church, and I guess you can say I took it more seriously and with my eyes and mind open. Prior to my time in Southern California, I haven't been a member of a church, and didn't really know what the expectations and in what light to view a commitment and relationship to a congregation.

At Evangel, the pastor recommended Stop Dating the Church by Joshua Harris, author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye. The book spoke about how Christ loves the church like His bride, and the passion He has for the church. Harris' emphasizes on points of being a part of a local body. Before reading, I knew that church was important, and participating in fellowship with the body is also important. However, I didn't hold it as in high as regard as Christ does. So going through the membership process, I went with new knowledge and eagerness to be a part of a local body, specifically EBCOC.

Since going to EBCOC in Feb 2010, I've met some of the members there, and I've learned a lot, and really was preached to about the Gospel, as they go through the book of Matthew. As a committed member, I hope I can continue to learn in my faith, learn to be a good member, and serve the church in whatever way I can, while I'm still in Southern California.

No comments: