Monday, June 8, 2009

Why I do what I do

So after successfully, surviving one week of research, I told my manager that I would work in the optometry office on Saturday. My experience this past Saturday reminded me why I want to become and optometrist, and why I enjoy it.

After very little person to person interaction in the research/lab setting, I was seeing patients come into the office and signing them in and dispensing glasses or contacts to them. I didn't run as many pre-tests that day for some reason, but it was just really rewarding and enjoyable just to be helping patients and seeing people that I saw the first time they came into the office. They remembered me, and I remember them. I found myself more welcoming and friendlier, when they came in and left the office to enjoy the weekend.

Two patients who really got me excited was one who was returning for the 2nd time, and picking up glasses. She is a video game tester at EA games (awesome!). She tests the Sims games, and recently worked on the Sims 3. So not only was it exciting to see her back at the office, but just to talk about her job and what she's been doing was just fun for me. Next was a walk-in patient looking to get glasses made. Turns out she works at Pixar, and was working on the movie Up for the past 5 years. Honestly, when I meet patients who are in career fields, that are art related make me excited to ask questions and learn more about what they do. So it was exciting chatting it up with her and what it is like working at Pixar.

So another incident that happened that day was the daughter of a patient came in requesting that we make glasses for her mother. The pair of glasses had broken, and legally without a recent eye exam, and a valid perscription, we cannot get glasses made. The situation was that the mother is in a nursing home, and it would be difficult for her to come out for an eye exam, and impractical for the O.D. to go there and conduct and eye exam. I am not sure if the empathy is a result of the recent passing of my employer's mother, or something else. But the O.D. said that we could make glasses for the patient without an exam, and taking the prescription from the broken glasses that were brought in.

This scenario reminded me of why I wanted to be an optometrist, and how sometimes you need to break the rules to do what is right, and what is best for the patient. It is technically illegal, but it's ethical in that you're helping the patient. We're helping more than causing harm. It is not just our ability to sympathesize or empathesize with our patients, but as Christians we need to show love to others because God first showed us love. Interacting with patients is not only a joy, but it is an expression of the love that God had for us. It's no where on the same level as God's agape love, but it's one form of expression that we, as humans, can best try to imitate Him.

No comments: