Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 3

So, a conclusion from Day 2 is that I don't like research cause a lot of the time you're doing work by yourself. I'm sure if there were more patients involved in certain studies, then that would improve the interaction, but I found myself working with not chatting-companions.

At the office I work at, despite the hectic nature of the patient flow, it's always comforting to be able to chat with co-workers, patients, and employers. I found myself staring at the computer a lot the past couple days, whether it was compiling and organizing corneal topographic maps, or reading journal articles.

I do like what I'm researching though. I'm learning a lot, and I'm able to connect what I learned this past year to things that I'm being introduced to now, and seeing the big picture. That's how I like to learn. So, it's not that I don't like research; it's more that the work environment is not my cup of coffee (I prefer coffee over tea :D)

But I did get to meet with my mentor for the first time. My impression is that a lot of effort is expected from me, but the reward and results from that effort is already envisioned, so the motivation is there. It's going to be tough, but rewarding in the end. I'm not one to back away from a challenge, and when I commit to something, it means I give a lot up for it. It also helps that my research area is very applicable. The focus is on contact lenses, in general the approach is why is there a constant drop-out rate of contact lens wearers despite the various improvements, in design and cleaning solutions?

The approach to address that issue is whether certain measurements that are advertised as being important for maintaining the moisture of a contact lens in the eye, is really indicative of maintaining the tear film in eyes. In addition, does the measurement imply anything about patients who experience dry eyes all the time.

The can of worms is open, and I'm still reading the label on the can....here we go!

No comments: