Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Olive Crest Dinner

Cornerstone Bible Church organized a Christmas party at a foster home tonight, and I volunteered to go and help and celebrate with them, but I had really no idea what to expect.  I've served at homeless shelters and fellowshipped with strangers there too.  I expected to be going to a foster home for children, but what I walked into was a foster home with 15-16 year old boys.

I was caught off guard, but at the same time it was something I was a bit more familiar with.  Many of the boys were welcoming, but some also had their guard up, and were in situations that I couldn't relate too.  I tried my best to focus on getting to know them by learning about their hobbies and finding out what they do for fun.  I can't imagine being in the same situations that their in and not really having the foundation or support that I have.

One of the boys celebrated his 16th birthday tonight, and I guess he was more appreciative and excited since we were there and people actually celebrated his birthday with him.  It was more than just cake and a song.  On the way home, I thought about all those teenagers featured on MTV's program "Sweet Sixteen (Eighteen)...etc"  They go over the top to throw a party, where there are people who are happy and just satisfied in celebrating a 16th birthday with other foster kids and just random strangers that are just there to chill and throw a party for them.  He emphasized the importance of family during Christmas time when asked what Christmas is about.

Think about what really matters during this holiday season, and cherish what God has blessed with you this year.

No comments: