Friday, December 25, 2009

(500) Days of Summer



sooooo....i finally watched this movie since it came out this week on DVD. It wasn't what I expected, but I think they make that clear from the very beginning. It is "a story about a boy meeting a girl, but it's not a love story." I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's wardrobe in this movie, but I doubt I could ever pull that off, but it's nice. I also was wondering if Levitt was imitating a Jersey accent or if that is really how he talks.
Pacing the movie by jumping from one day and then another event 200 days later was kind of disrupting. However what I liked about the movie is how they really analyze and tell the story with all the intricate details of the two people meeting and trying to figure out what they are, which I feel is common in how indie films explore and tell things.
It was an epiphany, when Tom talks to his step sister. She tells him "you may think she was the one, but looking back at it, i don't think she was the one for you." Maybe it just resonates with me, but it is so true how we interpret things, and how we only remember certain things and ignore others. Also I really liked how they portray the difference between his expectations and reality; I felt it was a reflection of how I think of things all the time.
I thought it was awesome that at the end, he meets someone else, Autumn (Minka Kelly from Friday Night Lights), who is more attractive than Summer (Zoey Deschanel).
Overall, I thought the movie was great, but the pacing wasn't what I expected. I did like the day after sex musical sequence. It reminded me of Enchanted when they're singing in Central Park.

No comments: