Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kollaboration 9: Empowerment Through Entertainment



A little over a week ago, I went to watch Kollaboration at the Shrine Theater on the USC campus. My first exposure to Kollaboration was through videos online and then through Youtube. They had videos of the infamous freestyle dance competition at Kollaboaration. Kollaboration originated as a Korean American talent show, providing an outlet for aspiring artists to sing, dance, and perform. This being the 9th year since it’s start back in 2000; the show has transcended its Korean American roots and now encourages and supports Asian Americans as a group. I always wanted to attend the show, but there were never shows in NorCal/ Bay Area.
Having moved temporarily to Southern California for school has given me the opportunity to experience this performing arts talent competition. Sitting through the whole experience reinvigorated my passion for the equality and expression of the Asian American experience. From hearing the MC crack jokes about his Korean culture and the stereotypes, and seeing the commercials with Asian American actors representing Asian products and films was encouraging.
Seeing the individual performers on stage performing their craft reminded me of my own desire to make films. Though my personality would not fit in well with the cheek-kissing, fashion saavy world of Hollywood, I could probably fit in well with the grind of the indy film-maker. Nonetheless , either path would be difficult, but to see dreams being worked for was an inspiration.
I also purchased the HK shorts from Wongfu Productions , which I watched this past week, while I was home. The quality of the picture was ok, similar to the quality of my own amateur short films; but to dedicate and commit the time to develop and film ideas – is something I have yet to do. I hope that I do end up reaching the end of the creative tunnel and do make some short films that will affect people. Because I would definitely regret following through my desires and using the talent that God has given me.
Aside from my passion for making movies and bringing life to characters through engaging stories, I enjoyed Kollaboration a lot. Kaba Modern, video above, was spectacular and very well polished in their dance routine. Joe Koy was hilarious, and I wish him the best of success in the future. It was sad that the competitors only were allowed one performance each, but also good since some of them did not really connect with the crowd. Boa was a nice surprise, but as great as a performer and chart-topper she is in Asia, I do not think that will translate well in the U.S. She has that Britney-esqe vocals and musicality, but I am not sure if that’s what the U.S. market is looking for or expecting from a Korean pop star.

No comments: